Clicking on other hubbers google ads.......

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (91 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Something just occured to me, not only are we writers here but we are ALSO CONSUMERS. I see nothing wrong with clicking on a fellow hubbers google ad if it's something we are interested in. I am getting the feeling that some people are afraid to do this for fear of reprisal for being click happy and hurting their google adense.
    I think we are missing the boat if we don't so this, why would I go somewhere else to get that same google info if I could get it on a fellow hubbers site?
    I often see google ads that appeal to me and would like to click on them-

1. desert blondie profile image56
      desert blondieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We are consumers! Were we not supposed to click on the ads in other hubs if we're interested? Yikes! I thought I just wasn't supposed to click on my own hubs' ads! Whats up with this?

1. Dorsi profile image89
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No don't get me wrong please- no one said we shouldn't but I am getting the feeling from other posts I've read that some people are hesistant about doing this because they are afraid it will cause problems with Adsense somehow. My concern is that we ARE consumers and no one should be afraid to click on other hubbers google ads- and I am hoping that someone from HubPages will address this issue-
        It's just this hesistant sense I'm picking up from some posts here.
        But we are a BIG group of consumers here so it's definitely something we should talk about. Maximize our presence as writers AND consumers!

2. spuds profile image58
      spudsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you see an ad for something you like then click on it. However I think Google does a pretty good job of tracking who clicks on what and where so if you only ever click on Google ads on HubPages and do it a lot then I suspect Google will frown on this.

1. mailxpress profile image51
        mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Spuds,
        Google does track and Google does know where each and every click comes from.  I would think clicking on many different ads on fellow Hubbers Hubs would be considered cheating.  I do on occasion click on an Adsense ad but only if I'm interested learning more.
        Yes, I would suspect Google will frown on this too.
        mailxpress

3. Catherine Behan profile image60
      Catherine Behanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

[Hi Dorsi...

Great point.  I agree that I have been hesitant not understanding that I am a consumer and might as well use those links to things I am researching.

Cat

4. soni2006 profile image75
      soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this hub http://hubpages.com/hub/breech-of-terms can help you people in this regard. I published it around two years ago at the time when I initially joined hubpages.

5. candice5 profile image58
      candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My friend was on one Site and had her accounts disabled for doing exactly that. Fast clicking on other peoples ads to help them out, she said that they were ones she was interested in.
      They look at the IP Numbers and check interaction with other computers. It is too risky to even go there.
      If you see something you are interested in and are a Hubpages Member best to go out of Hubpages and look at it through your normal browser. but I get your point, I wondered about that at the start.

2. stephhicks68 profile image88
    stephhicks68posted 15 years ago

Well, I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I don't see the difference between clicking on an ad in which you are truly interested (and not just because you think it will help the hubber), or buying a product that they have placed on the Hub through Amazon or eBay.  Just last week, I enjoyed a consumer review that I read and tried to buy the product through the hubber's eBay listing (I didn't win the auction, but that's not really relevant...)  So, I guess what I am saying is that we could click as consumers.  Interested to see what others have to say.

1. embitca profile image83
      embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am sure I'm not the only hubber who will say, "Please don't click on my adsense ads".

I don't want anyone "helping" me or rewarding me for writing good hubs by clicking on ads and I would just prefer that even if you've convinced yourself that you have consumer "intent" that you not click my ads. Please feel free to give me a "thumbs up" or join my fan club instead if you want to reward me.

Here's my perspective -- Adsense ads are designed to elicit unconscious (subconscious?) clicking. Someone who clicks it doesn't necessarily realize that it is an "AD" that they are clicking. They just see a provocative text which suggests that it will lead them to something they want.... so they are compelled to click it.

If you have to stop and think about whether it is appropriate for you to click because you are a "consumer" then you are already not thinking like a typical consumer. You're thinking like an Adsense publisher and you are already putting too much conscious thought into it.

I swear everytime this subject comes up I experience an involuntary shudder.

1. Dorsi profile image89

I have found some of my best leads and information about other sites through clicking google ads. In fact, clicking on a google ad led me indirectly to the HubPages, because I first clicked on a Print'N'Post google ad in Yuwie, which then led to another click ad which was for Helium, which to led me to research other sites, hence HubPages. This has happened several times.
        I never click ads of other hubbers as a reward, I click because it's something relevant for me.
        And I welcome and hope that other hubbers will click on any google ads they feel will help their lives, or something they are genuinely interested in.

2. Whitney05 profile image85
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

A little off topic of clicking other hubber's hub ads, but I have a few questions to pose...

My dad believes that if more people knew that the ads were legit, more people would click on them. Many peole do not click on any links within a site for fear they're going to end up with a virus on their computer. What do you guys think about that?

Also, he occassionally shuts down part of his site leaving a "under construction. we'll back up in a little while" message. You can still see ads, but no real content. H'es found that when he does this occassionally, he gets more clicks because people aren't getting the info they were looking for, so they click a related ad on the page.

I'm curious if you guys think that if hubs had less content, leaving gaps of infomation, people would click on more ads in order to fill any gaps.

By the way, I don't click any ads on hubs. I'm scared to set off an alarm in my Google account. You can just go to google and search the ad message and probably find think under a Google search if you think that the site has information you'd be interested in.

3. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually in Google's TOS it's against the rules to ask people to click on ads, AND to ask them not to click on ads.

1. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Google gets much angrier at fraudulent clicks.

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

With eBay and Amazon they don't pay out anything to their affiliates unless a purchase is made.  On the other hand with cost per click ads, which most AdSense ads are, they pay their advertisers for a click--a click which may or may not result in a purchase.  For that reason, in order to keep their advertisers happy (and remember the advertisers are the ones that actually pay Google money), they have to take a fairly hard line against click fraud.

I wouldn't say that you should never click on an ad on someone else's hub on HubPages if it genuinely interests you, I just wouldn't make a habit of it.  Furthermore, it's important to remember that if you have used URL Trackers here much, the ad that you think is someone else's may well contain your own AdSense id.

1. Dorsi profile image89

Thanks Paul but I didn't understand that last part?
      Does this mean that sometimes others google ads are the same as ours, and if so, when we click on them we are actually also clicking into our own adsense account?
      Which in effect could get us banned from Adsense?

2. desert blondie profile image56
      desert blondieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul. makes sense. And I'm so ignorant about everything except writing...I don't even know what a url tracker is, let alone using them!

3. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Edit deleted as already answered. Thanks Paul

4. Jenny30 profile image62
      Jenny30posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul. I do value working here at Hubs. I commented on a particluar hub and was truely interested in their hub and I commmended them on such a great article.I and a dear friend of mine clicked on the ads they had on their article to check out more information about places to stay. They totally got upset because we clicked on their ads. I didn't think there was anything wrong with clicking on ads that you are genuinely interested in. The hubber even called me a jerk and wrote a forum  post about it! I guess they don't understand the way hubpages works completely. I was shocked. Anyway I felt really bad for upsetting them. I hope they understand how it works now and that they were legit clicks. Needless to say I won't be clicking on their ads ever again! I don't ever want to upset any hubber here. I just want to write, learn and make new friends.

4. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

If you've referred another user, using URL Trackers, the way that we share revenue with you is to put your affiliate codes into the ads on their hubs 10% of the time.  So, it is possible when you are viewing someone else's hub that the ads actually are "yours".  If you never use HubPages URL Trackers, then it isn't something you have to worry about.

1. bluewings profile image61
      bluewingsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Darkside, the lawsuit involving Google and the adwords advertisers that Firetown is referring to where Google had to shell out $90 million is Here This was around a couple of years back following which Google started employing stringent rules to protect their advertisers from Click fraud.

Thanks Paul! The info about the ad sharing when using url trackers is very helpful.

Great interaction everyone. I try to keep myself updated on adsense from Matt cutt's blog and Inside adsense blog Cheers

1. darkside profile image64
        darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link and info.

Though I'm unsure how firetown is trying use the case to add weight to his argument.

If it were Publishers suing Google for unfair dismissal form the Adsense program then it might have been more relevant.

1. profile image0

I unfortunately was a party to that, as in the civil action, it was in fact class filed. It stemmed from a period of time somewhere around the early 2000's. It was based upon adwords users being charged for clicks that turned out to be fruadulent clicks. The matter was settled amicably.

It had nothing to do with having accounts cancelled.

2. bluewings profile image61
          bluewingsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I certainly see your point and being on both sides of the divide ( I am a devoted adwords advertiser as well ) I totally appreciate the concerns and do my best to stick to their TOA. When in doubt , I ask questions on their blog and if the answers aren't satisfactory, I seek clarifications via email.So far they've been very helpful.

5. Susan Ng profile image83
    Susan Ngposted 15 years ago

I don't even see the google ads on hubpages and other websites anymore.  In this paranoid fear of clicking on my own ads, my eyes have shut them out.

I'm much the same way. I never click on them on any websites. And most of the time, I don't even really notice them unless they are very obnoxious.

6. profile image0
    daflaposted 15 years ago

Paul, some of the ads aren't for products, they're promotional ads for non-commercial websites.  I do click on those on someone's hub or site if I want to visit the website.  With all the websites out there, sometimes it's easier to find relevant sites from the ads.

7. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Too often, here and elsewhere but not in this thread, I see comments about "rewarding" people by clicking on their ads.

Adsense is not a rewards system.

We are not supposed to draw undue attention to Adsense ads. And this discussion is drawing undue attention to the clicking of ads.

I can't remember where I read it, whether it was an Adsense Team blog post or from a bona-fide Adsense Guru, but it was suggested if you feel the need to see where the link is going then Right Click > Copy Link Location

Paste that into the URL and find the string that is the actual site.

This is an example of the URL you would get (I grabbed one and changed some of the characters so it wouldn't work if accidentally clicked):

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pa … 7777777777

Digging through the code you'd find http://layoutlimo.com is where it is sending the traffic.

If you absolutely positively have to go to a site that is advertising through Adsense, then do it that way.

Err on the side of caution. Don't play around with the livelihood of other community members and HP HQ.

8. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I actually don't think I've ever clicked on a hubbers google, but I do from time to time do it in different places, like I said it's indirectly brought me to signing up for HubPages.
    I'm sure Adsense must somehow have it in their algorithm to weed out abusers, otherwise this program would never work.

9. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

The problem is, they don't just weed out the abusers, they cut off their adsense account with very little chance of having it reinstated and will not let them open another. I suspect most of us decide it is not worth the risk. I certainly have.

I have yet to find a google advertiser that was worth visiting anyway. Most of it is spam LOL

They are much less picky about their advertisers than they are about what is acceptable content and ad placement big_smile

10. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

And they cut off your account if they merely suspect you of abuse or decide they think that you just might abuse in the future. And it's their program and they don't need to prove anything.

1. Dorsi profile image89

Which is why I would never put my livliehood in the hands of just google adsense. After studying it some, I certainly don't want to put all my expectations in the hands of a company that can "pull the plug" at any time and not give me a reason-
      Just like any business, there has to be good communication going both ways.
      And I agree, most of the advertisers there are not always topnotch, but it's just like Stumble Upon, sometimes you do run into some good things.
      I know I for one am going to be careful what googles I click on from now on!

11. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

LOL

I am finding my relationship with google to be very much a one way street. Like being in a bad marriage. It's their rules, and they can change the rules any time, and it's up to you to work out what the new rules are. And you better work them out fast, or there's a divorce on the way - and they are taking all the furniture  big_smile

Exactly big_smile

It's like a sadomasochistic relationship. Google's the Dominatrix and you are the whipping boy.

2. LondonDuchess profile image60
      LondonDuchessposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL - it also reminds me of the relationship that you can have with a "stroppy" teenager - they are always way ahead in the goal-post shifting stakes !

12. embitca profile image83

Oh, I wouldn't put all of my livelihood in Google's hands either, but at the same time I'm not interested in ending my relationship with them and prefer to protect that particular income source, which is why I flip out when people talk about clicking on each other's ads smile

Google, not known for their communication skills.

1. Dorsi profile image89

It's too bad- because I read a Hub here about how great it is to actually work for Google- but I guess when it comes to adsense there must be some hmmm..shall we say....some communication issues somewhere?
      I had actually thought about applying for their company in the marketing dept. because they are right across the Bay from me..............
      They have some awesome benefits.

13. embitca profile image83

Oh, I am sure that as a company they are great to work for. On your first day, they hand you a whip and tell you to get smacking smile

1. Dorsi profile image89

I think the guy that wrote that hub probably worked for Google- I'll have to try to find that again.
      Probably biased...lol....

14. embitca profile image83

If you want to get a pretty good understanding about how the folks at Google think about their business, check out Matt Cutt's blog: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/

It can be rather eye-opening (and infuriating) at times.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I think I have clicked on an AdSense ad at HubPages once. But it was something that really, really interested me. I'm like Susan now, I barely notice the ads. Sometimes I even turn on my AdBlocker and I don't see any ads at all.

1. Dorsi profile image89

Which makes me ponder- I wonder how many of our mainstream readers just don't notice the google ads anymore- I think I need to get in my adsense account and start playing with the way they are set up to make them more eye appealing ( if there is such a thing to making a google ad more appealing!) But visuals ARE so important, and making them more eye pleasing could bring more clickers!

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can't do this on Hubpages. But site software constantly strives to optimize your ads for you smile 

And - any serious money that are to be made here come from outside visitors clicking. Just forget about your fellow hubbers in that regard, reward is almost non-existent and risk is a lifetime ban from Adsense... You are a business woman, are you?

1. Dorsi profile image89

Yes I am. But this is new ground for me- I have a big learning curve ahead of me. And I suppose adsense will play a part in that.
          I just like to have all the cards on the table and see exactly what I'm dealing with- no frills and a desire to learn as much as I can. That's why I post here alot, I want to understand.
          And I don't want to see any internet start-ups I help get banned because they don't understand the rules either.
          I suppose that's where an adsense guru would come in handy!

16. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

I am a little unsure about this whole thing. I wonder how google is supposed to know that you are not really trying to help a fellow member(friend) earn some money by clicking on their ads or not?

1. Dorsi profile image89

I wondered that too- I don't know how in the world they could keep track of that.
      It would be just like going to one of your favorite sites anywhere and being a frequent clicker of their google adsense because there are relevant google ads on it.

1. SunSeven profile image62
        SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So, I think they take the safest route and will ban you/me/or anyone else for doing it smile

1. Dorsi profile image89

Yup it sounds like that's what they do- I know if I ever get banned for some random reason I will never write about google in a positive light anymore!
          (But I don't think they would care about measly me giving them a negative review anyway....hahaha.)

17. SunSeven profile image62

smile

18. SunSeven profile image62

I hope Dorsi got her answer by now. smile

1. Dorsi profile image89

Unfortunately not really but that's OK, I've certainly got enlightened. I am going to dig deeper into understanding Adsenses Rules of engagement but somewhere else where I don't risk rocking the boat for anyone here...
      But I know enough now to have my tail between my legs and not ask anymore questions about adsense....lol........

You can ask Adsense questions here. There are tons of questions you could ask that won't be suggestive of breaking the rules and really for that, all you need to avoid is talking about encouraging people to click on them.

However, if you would like to get a more comprehensive look at the situation from multiple points of view, I recommend you check out some affiliate forums, like warriorforum.com and the forums at Digitalpoint.com. They are both much bigger forums with more users than we have here. smile

1. Dorsi profile image89

You seem to know the adsense program really well- (Can I come to you for future questions...)
          Because of the kind of business I own, I always need to wear three hats when helping clients-
          A designers hat, a business womans hat and have the eyes of a consumer.
          All three go into the making of sign, so I always try to look at things in those 3 ways (it's engrained  now I guess)
          I can't help but wonder what makes Google tick, but that's just my nature, and I will certainly not encourage clicking of other hubbers googles after what I've read. That's sad but necessary in this case. Rather err on the side of safety, obviously.

19. SunSeven profile image62

I think you can learn more about adsense by reading this https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … edium=link
    than posting on this forum
    smile

1. Dorsi profile image89

Thanks SunSeven. I'll check that out.

2. darkside profile image64

Yes, I was going to say that all Hubbers need to read the Google AdSense Programme Policies and AdSense Terms and Conditions.

And to understand how and why Adsense works: What is Adsense.

Dorsi, you may want to check this out: Click Fraud.

1. Dorsi profile image89

Yes, I would say reading adsense policies is probably one of the first things a hubber should read here, especially since it's so important in the HubPages setup.
        It's a vital part of Hubpages, and I'm going to refer anyone thats signs up to adsense to make sure they read at least those parts about setup and clicks, and fraud to begin with.
        Very important.
        I should have done this straight away but I've been so busy writing that I wasn't reading all that I should have.

20. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

That's exactly what I was looking for- that is pretty comprehensive. Thanks.

21. embitca profile image83

If the ads are being served by Google they are legit. I've run Adwords ads and Google has pretty high standards for their Adwords program and they have bots that check the pages and certain things will trigger manual reviews before ads even go live.

Googles does not accept advertising for any pages that serve pop-ups and they certainly don't accepting advertising for sites that would automatically install a virus.

By leaving the ads running on "under construction" pages, your dad is breaking the terms of service for running Adsense. The ads are supposed to be on pages with content. 

However, his theory is certainly correct. Many people made a big business out of Adsense by putting it on sites with very little useful content so the only content worth checking out was the ads. Google put a significant stop to that last year by booting tons of the "Made for Adsense" sites out of their program, however there are still plenty out there. They will crack down on it though when they notice it. But yes, it really does work when it comes to increasing clicks.

The corollary though is that Google may decide that your pages are of no value to their advertisers. Your dad could lose his account if they ever notice that he's running ads on pages with no content.

What is important to keep in mind is that Google is in business to serve its Adwords advertisers, not its Adsense publishers. The Adwords folks are Google's clients and the people they care about it. They don't care if Adsense publishers make money and have put things into place to make sure that Adsense publishers don't make Adwords advertisers unhappy.

When it comes down to it, if people weren't scamming the system with Made for Adsense sites or thinking up shady ways to ensure more clicks, we'd actually all be making more money with Adsense because more advertisers would keep the content network turned on. Right now the way things stand is that many top advertisers and people with expensive campaigns turn it off because the clicks are of no value to them or they run separate bid amounts for the content network. For example, I can set up a campaign with bids for $1 a click on Google directly, but bid only .05 on the content network if I even want to bother with it.

So basically, if more advertisers left the content network on for their campaigns (or kept their bid levels the same), you would make more money for fewer clicks because there would be a lot more competition between advertisers.

1. Susan Ng profile image83
      Susan Ngposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yikes, thanks for pointing this out embitca.  I'm now hurrying to remove the google ads on the unfinished pages on my website. yikes

2. Whitney05 profile image85
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I understand they're legit, but not everyone knows this. Many people that do not fully understand the workings of the internet, may not see the ads as being legit.

Also, he leaves some content, but not much when the page is under construction.

When I said no real content, that doesn't mean he doesn't leave zero content. Just not much content overall. He leaves some content with a few pictures and live camera shots, but removes the bulk.

1. SunSeven profile image62
        SunSevenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The point is(and what really matters), google may not see it under the same light!

2. embitca profile image83

I get what you are saying. Here's one way it could be done --- Google now requires that every website running Adsense has a privacy policy explaining how their advertising collections information. On that page your dad could provide an explanation of the advertising's legitimacy. Just don't run Adsense on that page. Here's an example privacy policy.

To be safe, I would remove the ads as well.

22. stefeeb profile image59
    stefeebposted 15 years ago

Ok so let me get this straight because Im new and still got alot to learn here.

If we are Hub members we are not to click on other hub members google adsense ads? because we could get into trouble. I would rather give my click to someone here if its pertaining to a subject Im interested in instead of going to other websites and clicking there ads. Anyway I love reading everyones hubs and think this is an awsome site to belong to.

Adsense is not a rewards program.

23. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

Here's my take on this...I'm a member of this community.  I'm also a consumer.

As a member of this community, I construct my hubs knowing that Google will display on my hubs whatever it is they want to market based on my key words and content.  This Google output is not optional for hubbers (I'm still new here; if that's not the case, let me know), and sometimes the placement within my hub of the Google content really pisses me off.  It screws with my layout.

So this is something I have little control over, and I willingly accept it as a member of this community.

As a consumer, if I find an interesting AdSense link on someone else's hub, then I'm going to go there, although I refrain from clicking on my own hub's AdSense links, because of the Google TOS, even though I'd like to, because sometimes the links are interesting.

I don't ask hubbers to click on my Google links, and I don't expect them to ask me to do likewise.  But, I'm a consumer, so if something tickles my fancy, then I'm going there.

Google doesn't control the look of the ads on Hubpages. Hubpages has implemented a software program, called Yieldbuild, that determines the lay-out and look of the ads, so if you want to blame someone, Google is not the correct party here. That would be Hubpages smile.

Also, if you are not writing commercial hubs that link out to other commercial websites, you are free to turn off Adsense ads on your hubs. That option is located in the summary box at the top of your hub whenever you start building one. Or you can click "edit" on your published hubs and turn it off there.

If you see an interesting adsense link on your own hub, you can carefully hover your mouse over the link (without clicking!) and you'll be able to figure out what url it goes to, then you can just type that url into the address bar.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I always say, if you are going to throw blame, toss it in the right direction. Thanks for the Yieldbuild info. Another day on HubPages, another lesson learned.  smile

1. profile image0

Love it!!

But what do you mean?

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
            Sally's Troveposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Terryg, I was so busy being mad about not being able to control the layout of the AdSense placements on my hubs, that I blamed Google instead of HubPages. Embitica's kind lesson correcting my misunderstanding was what I learned today.  And thanks for the cool fan mail!

24. firetown profile image62
    firetownposted 15 years ago

OMG you guys have to stop seeing black helicopters. Google TOS has been tightened because of Billion dollar lawsuits involving prolly 100s of Millions of fraudulent clicks. So be real, a click or two here and there will NOT hurt anybody!

1. profile image0

I agree with you. You will always find the doomsayers are the ones who monetize their sites with adsense hoping to make a few bucks and the first to start screaming the place down when they don't make any money or point the finger at everyone else.

Comments like "Oh I don't click on adsense ads" surprise me, because I bet that person has adsense plastered over every site they have. They expect everyone else to click like mad but wouldn't click anyone elses ad to save their life.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, just it is not that scary demon you are making it out to be.

25. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

There are two forums I frequent (among many) which discuss a lot of things to do with Adsense. It's amazing just how many people find themselves booted off the program.

And they don't know why.

When you get canned you get a list of possible reasons why you've been banned. They don't specifically tell you.

There's plenty that are too stupid to realise that clicking on your own ads is not a quick way to make a fast buck but an excellent way to be kicked.

There are those that have been far too excited and told family and friends to check out there site and that they make money from people clicking on ads, but don't tell these family and friends NOT to.

Then there are those who just don't know why. They've felt they've done the right things and avoided all the wrong things. But something happened and now they're cut out of the program.

It's not paranoia, it's not "seeing black helicopters". What's the saying? Rather be safe than sorry?

If you need to see where that ad is pointing at then follow the instructions I mentioned earlier.

I don't want people to click like mad on my ads. I recently saw a sharp increase on one of my domains and after further investigation it was one person who had clicked 50 ads. Adsense were aware of the situation though it didn't hurt for me to send them an email to report suspicious activity.

firetown, if you can provide a link as a source for the information it would be most appreciated. Is this a lawsuit involving Publishers, or is it a lawsuit involving Advertisers?

1. Mark Bennett profile image61
      Mark Bennettposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It all makes me a little nervous about relying on Google for any significant portion of my income, ever ...

26. profile image0
    terrygposted 15 years ago

Well said darkside. It can not be any clearer than that. Follow the rules and have a supporting analytical program and you really cannot go wrong.

27. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I think once your adsense is >$5 / month and assuming its important to you : you really need to be monitoring your adsense clicks daily: if you see something odd - email google pre-immediately before they contact you.  I had a relative "help" so I knew the site and the country and emailed back immediately - it was only a few $ and I never heard back but safe is best!

Its worth repeating:
    Adsense: you click an ad the advertiser pays even if you have no interest:
    Amazon/Ebay- you click/you bid, you play for days on the site : no problem, if you buy  I get a % of Ebay/Amazon cut - thats fair and easy: have a great time clicking on ebay and Amazon- regardless of what is shown you can continue onto the site and buy something unrelated and  I still get paid smile

28. profile image52
    Chefseanmdposted 15 years ago

Google's new rules that seemingly protect advertisers are just one way that Google makes a ton of cash through using and abusing the small guy! You give them your ad space for months... they turn around and claim Click fraud and cancel your account. Beware of Google!!! They have no transparency in their policies... which is absolutely Bull$#!% if you ask me!!

I've been with Adsense for four years now. They haven't scammed me yet.

The rules can sometimes seem to suck, but they do it to stop the unbelievable amount of scammers that try their hardest to defraud programs like this.

Adsense have to be diligent to protect their Advertisers. It's up to us to be diligent to protect our own accounts.

29. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Chef, this is spamming the forums - posting a link to a Hub completely unrelated to the discussion.

What's more, your Hub is low quality and could potentially be classified as overly promotional.

Minimum 300 words UNIQUE (as in, appears nowhere else on the internet) content is required before you are allowed to link out to a commercial site.

I haven't flagged you, but I'll bet others have. Fix it fast, or your Hub will vanish (be unpublished)!

Jenny

30. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Get over yourself, Jenny. You came to my hub and left a comment that you would be clicking on my ads. And then you clicked on not one, not two, but three of them. I stand by what I said. You're a jerk and I'm happy to have you stay away from me and my hubs.

1. Jenny30 profile image62

First of all I commended you on what a great hub you had. I really liked your article and I think you are a great writer actually.I clicked on them because I was interested in the ads. There is nothing wrong with clicking on others peoples ads if you are interested in the information, that doesn't breach the contract with google. Anyway google picks up on the Ip address of a users computer when someone clicks on an ad. So you have no worries, you don't get penalized for that. Also I don't click on ads for the sake of clicking on them. I know better than that! I clicked actually on one and  my friend clicked on the others. You read my comment totally wrong. Anyway I have really upset you that I can see. Its not like I clicked on any other ads on your articles. My goodness. Calling hubbers names isn't at all nice especially when they are being sincere or anybody else for that matter. But anyways you can stick by what you say. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My goodness I am fairly new to hubpages give me a break. I didn't think complimenting a article on such a good job and grateful for the information that they had was such a crime! Didn't you read what Paul said its not a crime to click on ads on other hubbers articles if you are looking for something or to purchase an item? No crime committed. Its too bad I would of loved to have been a fan of yours because I think your articles are really great. Its too bad you won't see past this one time and forgive me for upsetting you. I think you being a single mom rearing kids on her own is commendable and writing articles on hubpages is truely awesome! And I really loved that profile picture of your dog. He is so cute! I think its your dog isn't it?. I love dogs myself! Again I am really sorry. Just think about what I wrote and realize that if I was a jerk like you think I am, you would know that I would of handled this a lot differently. I would of been all mad and would of insulted you but I never. I think everyone deserves to explain themselves and deserves a second chance. Don't you? 

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And what exactly was it you were looking for? Since you live in Newfoundland, I'm sure that Rhode Island is on the top of your "places to vacation" list.

Your comment on my hub: "The beach is pretty tempting! That makes me wanna go visit just by looking at the white sand! I will check out the ads on your page relating to Rhode Island just to see some places where to stay. Thanks for the info."

Um, there wasn't one picture of a beach in the hub. Oh, and Rhode Island doesn't HAVE any white-sand beaches. There was a 2-second clip of ONE rocky, uninhabitable beach in the video. Yup. You read the hub and were just dying to visit Rhode Island.

You know what? I give up. This is becoming too much now. What I was looking for? That is really a personal reason and none of your concern. Whether I live in NL or in the Middle East, it doesn't make a difference. And there is a white sandy  beach in Rhode Island called Crescent Beach in Block Island because I just googled it. The article was written by Regina Sass and the title of the article is called "Escape to the beaches of Block Island". Another article is written by Lima and the title of that article is "Best Beaches In Rhode Island". you can check them out if you like. I can't believe that a hubber would get on like this. It is very immature. I have done my part by apologizing and thats all I can do. If you want to be the type of person that wants to hold a grudge and throw false accusations at them and speak harshly of them, then so be it. I have never encountered an individual like this before on hubpages or any other publishing company that spoke ill of people that they don't even know for one thing. I didn't join to make enemies but to learn from other hubbers. Question-Why on earth would I click on your ads just for the sake of clicking on them? I have more important things to do then sit at a computer all day and click on everybody's ads. Doesn't make sense? I didn't  click on them to benefit you to make money or put you at risk of losing your account with google either, it was for my ownself so that I could find out further information.  Whether you believe me or not, its not the way to get on. Its not professional as a writer. And I don't appreciate my name being slandered on hubpages either. I would never do that to a hubber or anyne else for that matter!  So believe what you like, I know that it was an honest comment and thats all that counts in my books. And by the way I travel a lot and yeah Rhode Island is one of those places.

2. kmackey32 profile image65
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow that's awefully harsh. I think Jenny is really sorry and didn't mean to offend you. I don't see why u are so upset about it.  Maybe I am missing something. smile

Thanks kmackey32 and I didn't mean to offend.

1. kmackey32 profile image65
          kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh I know. I dont understand what the problem is, unless I am missing something. If someone clicked on my add because they were interested i would be VERY greatful. I do not get the problem.

31. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

In adsense, Google is constantly doing what they call smart pricing by analyzing data across the Google Network. If the analysis shows that clicks from one of your hub usually yield no actionable business results - such as an online sale, registration, phone call or newsletter sign-up, Google will reduce the future bid for that hub.

I didn't know that. Good to know. Many thanks!

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually you might be better off googling "smart pricing" and reading those that know what they are talking about. smile

32. Cls1321 profile image61
    Cls1321posted 14 years ago

I was just viewing my own hub... and I never EVER click ads on any websites/hubs/blogs.... but one of the ads appealed to me so much that I clicked my own ad lol.

After realizing what I had done I rushed to contact google but was very happy to see that they realize accidental clicks happen, and as long as it doesn't happen regularly they won't take any action against you.

PHEW...

33. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

I must say I found that discussion very interesting thanks to Paul et al for that insight smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)